Since I have been loudly and publicly scolded for not posting more blogs, here’s one for today. And while it’s not nearly as exciting as a trip to Easter Island, it’s what I’ve got.
I rolled my lazy butt out of bed around 8:00 this morning, and while toasting a bagel for breakfast, I checked email to see if I had any new freelancing developments.
Nothing new on the home front.
After writing out a half dozen checks to cover various bills, I got dressed and headed over to see the ‘rents. It’s weird having them less than two miles away from me, after having them in Yuma all winter, then Pitkin all summer. Mom and Dad really do not want to be in Logan. Especially when they could have stayed in Pitkin for at least two more weeks before the bike race. But, oh well. They are home, so they’ll try to enjoy it. (I did overhear reservations being made for Yuma, so we can all look forward to that!)
I took Mom up Providence Canyon for a little plinking and target shooting and non-stop talking. On the way up, we were stalled by a white pick up in the road, with two young people talking to the driver. The couple then came back to the Jeep and asked if we had jumper cables.
It’s a Jeep. Of COURSE I have jumper cables.
The couple hopped into the white truck (which happened to be a forest service truck) and we headed up the canyon to their car. Sure enough, there it was by the side of the road, dead as a doornail. Right after I pulled the nose of the Jeep up to the nose of the car, the Forest Service truck pulled off into a cloud of dust.
Thankfully, it only took a moment to get the car started. But, the guy asked us what we were doing up the canyon. I’m always a little hesitant to tell people I’m packing a gun and intending on firing it within the next few minutes. But Mom just said, “Oh, we’re headed up here to shoot our guns.” I didn’t even look up from what I was doing to see the guy’s reaction. How odd it must be to see two women in a Jeep, going up a canyon to shoot stuff.
But man, it was fun!
My one goal this summer was to vastly improve my shooting skills and maybe…maaayyybe…be able to compete with Mom. And while I’m no where near her shooting level, I know I’m better than when she left for Pitkin.
I can only imagine what we must look like to the outside world. Women and guns. How strange that must be to most people out there. I’m sure the group of men we passed on the way down thought we were lesbians, or crazy, or something. But we thought they were strange. They were in four Jeeps, all built to perform, kids in tow, no women in sight.
On a weekday morning? Weird. Either way, we eye-balled each other and I drove on past them and down the canyon with Mom, gabbing like crazy women all the way.
I’d call it a pretty good morning. Had a lot of fun.
And there’s your update, Brian. Kinda boring, kinda quirky, pretty mundane.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nothing's boring! Keep it up. One post doesn't get you off the lazy hook.
ReplyDeleteDammit! You are so high maintenance!
ReplyDelete