So, I wrote this one a while ago and never got around to posting it.....but I like it. So, I'll post it now. Hee hee.
Skirt Girl
Have you ever experienced a deep dislike for someone you don’t know a thing about? Their face annoys you, you hate the way they smile, they have a crooked teeth, they dress dumb, something totally superficial makes you unable to stand the person before they even open their mouth.
Such a girl attends classes in the English department at Utah State. Something about her just gets on my nerves. It may be her hair that it seems she tried to style, but it’s still a bit ratty and strange. Or the skirts she wears that end just above the knee and poof out around her. Or the heels. Who wears heels when hiking across campus to classes? And because I’ve never actually met her, never learned her name, I don’t know one single thing about her other than her hair is weird and she wears out-of-fashion poofy skirts, I call her Skirt-Girl.
Her mouth is small, too. She’s got itty-bitty lips and tiny teeth. I know this because she’s always smiling. There’s not one ounce of cynicism, sarcasm, or grumpiness in her. She’s the quintessential happy-person. Which also annoys me.
Just my luck, I landed in a class with Skirt-Girl. After weeks of avoiding her, of dodging out of sitting anywhere near her, I arrived to class a few minutes late. The only seat was right behind her. I couldn’t help but listen in to her conversation with another girl in the class.
Skirt-Girl was describing her woes about a roommate who didn’t seem to like her. Immediately, I felt kinship with the roommate. The poor thing. Had to live with Skirt-Girl and see her every single day. Sigh.
After that, I had a whole new reason to be annoyed at Skirt-Girl. She actually believed that every single person on this planet needed to like her.
I’m sure Skirt-Girl is an outstanding member of society. She’s probably active in volunteer organizations, probably paints houses for the poor, makes quilts for the homeless, donates books to third-world countries, recycles, composts, rides her bike on red-air days, whatever.
I simply don’t like her.
Yeah, I may be the most shallow person on the planet, that I could dislike a person simply based on their looks. Truth is, I am shallow, but, I think everyone makes decisions like that every time they see a person. Of course, we’re not going to admit it, even to ourselves, most of the time, and try hard to treat everyone equal.
That’s the right thing to do, obviously.
Well, I’ve got news for you, Skirt-Girl….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment