I have a bug up my butt. It’s been gnawing at me all day and I’m hoping that by writing it down and throwing it out there in the world, it will leave me alone.
And it’s work related.
See, I have this boss, of course, with which I don’t exactly see eye-to-eye. And we have to make this two-day trip to Blanding. Of course, he schedules this trip during the two days I have hockey commitments.
Hockey is the newest most important thing to me. I love this game. Love it. I want to spend every minute I can becoming better at it. And I can’t do that if I’m stuck in a van on the way to Blanding. I need to be on the ice, with my teammates, like I said I would. So I mention this to The Boss, that I have hockey those days and I’d really prefer to go another time.
He then said the fateful word: extracurricular.
Excuse me?
Being the mean, spiteful person that I am, I pointed out that if what I do after work hours qualifies as ‘extracurricular’, then his children fall into that category.
Hey, I said it was mean.
But seriously! He planned this trip around his kids’ schedule. Sure, I can see why he did that, but does that make his time and commitments more important than mine? I certainly don’t think so.
I come from a school of thought that your life is your responsibility. It is up to no one but you to make it what you want it to be. If you then choose to get married and have children, you have chosen to then give your life to those people. That’s fine. I’m ok with that. I still don’t think that automatically makes your life more important than mine. It simply means that you have made choices that differ from mine.
I honestly think this is a form of discrimination. The single, non-parent person generally has to cater to the married parental people in the office. It’s like the smoker who gets five breaks during the day when the non-smoker does not. Schedules, who works late, who comes in early, those poor folks in retail who have to work holidays…the single person usually has to take care of these things.
Because they chose a different lifestyle.
No comments:
Post a Comment